Monday, April 2, 2012

Community Service

Wednesday 3/28/12- 4-8 pm

For my community service project, I decided to volunteer at Condell hospital. I have never volunteered at a hospital before so I didn't know what to expect. I was a bit nervous at first. I didn't know my way around the hospital at all. Other volunteers showed me around though so that it was easier. So far it has been a rewarding experience. I meet so many new people everyday. I worked at the main desk with Barb, at the first entrance of the hospital. Normally, I would ask visitors if they are here to see a patient and I would direct them to the patient's room. Occasionally, I got to do things like deliver flowers to some patients. I delivered one bouquet of flowers to a woman who just had a baby. It was amazing to see the smile on the patient's faces, and how happy the patients would be when you'd bring them the flowers. I expected that my job would have just been to do paper work at the desk or something but I actually got to meet people and interact with them. One thing that surprised me was that the hospital had different "codes" for emergencies. It was surprising how many times you would hear something like codes for severe trauma so often in just one day. Another thing that surprised me was that some of the patient's did not want visitors, and I couldn't understand why. Since it's only been my first day, I haven't gotten to do as much, but I plan to continue at the hospital, hopefully I will get to do some more things. So far, I really like  volunteering at the hospital, and I really enjoy learning new things there.

No comments:

Post a Comment