Monday, April 9, 2012

Community Service #2

4/4/12 Wednesday 4-8 pm

Yesterday was my 2nd day volunteering at Condell hospital. I was expecting just another day at the hospital to be the same as any other. I worked at the front desk again, and I worked with Patricia this time. Since I had to go there straight from school, i was so tired and hungry, but i knew that I wanted to be there. I got to do some new things. This time, I had to transport a patient to their room in a wheel chair. I was a little bit nervous doing this since I've never done it before. I was nervous that I would bump into something accidentally, or I would get lost and frustrate the patient. It was a long walk to get to the patient's room and it was a bit tiring to push a wheel chair that far, but I got it done and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and I was able to help somebody. I spent most of my shift doing what I usually do, like greet visitors and tell them which room the patient they are visiting is in. Something cool that happens is that every time a new baby is born, the hospital plays a lullaby and I heard the lullaby 3 times. Something interesting that happened was that the helicopter that is used for traumatic accidents, came through. This usually doesn't occur often, so it was interesting to see that. At the end of my shift, the last people that came to the desk was a couple who had been in a devastating car accident. I had to call a cab for them and find them a hotel to stay at. This couple got into an accident, had just been treated at the hospital, lost their car to destruction, and they couldn't go home for a long time. While I was listening to them telling us what had happened to them, I realized how lucky I was to just be able to go back my own  home that night. I enjoy volunteering at the hospital, and I find that each week I experience something different and hear different stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment