Friday, May 18, 2012

Race

I never realized that race has always been a social construct. Biologically, race does not exist. There are no biological traits that can identify with "races". The first time that I actually learned that race was a social construct was in my US History class. When I was asked, "what does race mean", I would always respond with the obvious response. I would say that race is the group that you belong to based on your biological features. However, that is wrong, since race has no connection to your biological makeup. What I learned about race in sociology, was that your race can easily change depending on where you are. Like what Sal said, you might be one race in this country, but if you fly over to another area, like Brazil, you would be considered a different race. So, even though race is not real in regards to biology, I still wonder why people are so obsessed about it. I myself have always wondered what race I am. Technically, people would say that I am Asian, but I feel like I am not like other Asians, I have a different skin tone, and different features, so what really am I? I have ultimately realized that it does not matter what race I am, because race does not define me, and race can change. Watching the video in class today about the Brown vs. Board of Education and the dolls, broke my heart. It was so sad to see these little girls, who were probably only about 8 or 9 years old, think so badly of themselves, and put white people above them. That really proves how much people still obsess over race and hopefully, one day it will change, and people will not be put down because of their races.

No comments:

Post a Comment